New Robotic Manufacturing System XMini
- Advanced Manufacturing Tool is 'Made in the UAE'
Exechon, LLC, a joint-venture (JV) company comprising Abu Dhabi-based Injaz National, U.S. global security and aerospace company Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT], and Sweden-based Tecgrant AB, introduced its new XMini today at the International Defence Exposition and Conference (IDEX) in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The XMini is a robotic, next-generation intelligent portable machine system that uses Parallel Kinematics Machining (PKM) to support industrial automated manufacturing capabilities. As a standalone tool or as part of an existing production system, the XMini merges the flexibility and high dynamics of the articulated-arm robot with the stiffness and accuracy of the rigid machine tool. The device, which is made of carbon fiber, can be taken apart and reassembled inside spaces traditionally inaccessible to machines or people, such as an aircraft wing box.
Global Naval Vessels MRO Industry 2016 Market Research Report
The XMini is the first product developed by the JV, and establishes an engineering and manufacturing center for advancing this technology in the aerospace, defense and automotive sectors, as well as other industrial areas. The facility is set to open at Masdar Institute in 2017.
"Exechon is based in the UAE to nurture local innovation and accelerate the expansion of industrial automation and robotics manufacturing in the region," said Kalle Neumann, Exechon chief executive officer. "The XMini on display at IDEX is built locally in Abu Dhabi to support international aerospace, defense and automotive markets around the world."
Commenting on the partnership, Rick Edwards, executive vice president of Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control, said, "We are excited to celebrate this milestone in the partnership with local experts to develop the XMini, which will enhance local manufacturing capabilities and create long-term economic benefits. The XMini reflects Lockheed Martin's commitment to supporting the UAE's goal of becoming the leading supplier of cutting-edge, automated manufacturing technology."
His Excellency Sultan Rashed Saeed Al Dhaheri, chairman of Injaz National added, "Today marks an important step in our international collaboration to bring this new technology and manufacturing capacity into the UAE. We look forward to continuing our partnership to facilitate meaningful and lasting economic impact throughout the Emirates."
Exechon has several key partnerships in the UAE and around the world to bring its products to market:
- Tawazun Economic Council. The Council made the formation of the JV possible through its support of the UAE's strategy to develop advanced and pioneering technology for the UAE and worldwide markets.
- Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. The Masdar Institute is a research-oriented university in Abu Dhabi. Our Application and Technology Center will be located on its campus.
- Premier Composites. Dubai-based Premier Composites is the supplier for XMini carbon fiber components. Maintaining a local supply chain for critical parts lowers costs and maximizes local economic value addition.
- AAR. An industry-leading provider of aviation services and integrated supply-chain solutions, U.S.-based AAR is responsible for XMini strategic production sourcing, procurement, kitting, and aftermarket component distribution.
The XMini can be found on display in the Lockheed Martin stand at IDEX, at 01-A11 in the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC).
Source : Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT) - view original press release