AS&E Introduces the MINI Z: World's 1st Handheld Z Backscatter Imaging System
- Provides Public Safety and Security Officials With Fast, Portable, Real-Time Imaging to Detect Drugs, Contraband, and Explosives
American Science and Engineering, Inc. ("AS&E") (Nasdaq:ASEI), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, today introduced the MINI Z™, the world's first handheld Z Backscatter® imaging scanner for fast, portable, real-time detection of hidden organic threats, such as drugs, contraband, plastic guns, ceramic knives, and explosives. Designed for law enforcement, first responders, border control, event security, maritime police, and general aviation security, the MINI Z system's single-sided imaging and compact size offers unsurpassed operational flexibility — scanning effectively "on the go" in the hardest-to-reach environments.
"Leveraging the breakthrough capabilities of our Z Backscatter detection technology, the MINI Z system is AS&E's initial offering of what will be a family of portable backscatter products," said Chuck Dougherty, AS&E's President and CEO. "We have taken the technology behind the success of the ZBV® system and miniaturized it — making it more affordable and accessible to a broader range of customers. The MINI Z system is a game-changer for law enforcement and border security officials who are constantly challenged to quickly and accurately detect potential threats in hard-to-reach environments as they work to ensure the highest level of public safety."
Global Military Electro-Optical /Infrared Systems Industry 2016 Market Research Report
The MINI Z system is ideal for security and public safety officials for multiple applications. Examples include:
- Public Safety: Quick screening of unattended and suspicious bags and packages for potential terrorist threats in public spaces.
- Border and Security Checkpoints: Inspecting vehicle bumpers, tires, panels, and interiors for explosives, plastic weapons, and other concealed threats and contraband.
- Drug Enforcement: Investigating suspected drug labs for drugs or currency.
- Event Security: Screening hand baggage and deliveries to ensure public safety.
- VIP Security: Security sweeps of meeting rooms and furniture for organic threats and IEDs to ensure personnel safety.
- Maritime Security: Screening the hulls and bulkheads of suspected drug running boats for contraband or narcotics.
- General Aviation Security: Inspecting the seats, compartments, and panels of small planes for hidden contraband.
MINI Z — the World's First Handheld Z Backscatter® Imaging System:
- Scans in Places Other Systems Can't Reach: The MINI Z system is a compact, single-sided imager that can be used to scan objects in hard-to-reach areas, such as unattended bags, backpacks, or packages in a subway or bus. Unlike density meters, trace detectors, or portable transmission X-ray systems, the MINI Z system produces an easy-to-interpret image to quickly detect organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces.
- Unsurpassed detection of organic threats: The MINI Z handheld system uses AS&E's signature Z Backscatter technology, an advanced X-ray imaging technology that produces a real-time image of the scan target, highlighting organic materials that transmission X-ray systems can miss, such as explosives, currency, and drugs.
- An easy to use, all-in-one imaging system: The MINI Z system is self-contained and does not require set-up, enabling immediate operation. The operator controls the scanning function using a simple, intuitive GUI on the system's dedicated tablet, upon which an image of the scanned target appears in real-time.
- Safe, secure and dependable operation: The MINI Z system is safe for operators, bystanders, and the environment. The system's X-ray dose conforms to the appropriate ANSI, ICRP, NCRP, and EURATOM radiation safety standards. Although the MINI Z is a low-energy and low-dose Z Backscatter system, it is not designed to scan people. The MINI Z system must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions as well as applicable laws and regulations.
Your company’s press release on ASDNews and to thousands of other journalists and editors? Use our ASDWire press release distribution service.
Source : American Science and Engineering, Inc.