Airbus wants money for Germany's scrapped Eurofighter order
Airbus is demanding 900 million euros ($1.2 billion) in compensation from Germany for cancelling an order for a batch of 37 Eurofighter jets, according to a newspaper report Monday.
The amount had emerged in a closed-door parliamentary budget meeting last week in which the scrapped fighter-jet order was also reported to lawmakers, said the Handelsblatt business daily.
Global Database of the Top 1000 Aircraft Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Execu...
Industry sources however put the Airbus compensation demand at about 800 million euros, said the newspaper.
None of the details has been confirmed by the companies involved or the German defence ministry, but industry sources said last week the down-scaling had long been on the cards and was not unexpected.
The Eurofighter consortium, Europe's largest defence programme, is a joint project of the Airbus Group, BAE Systems and Italian defence group Finmeccanica. It is in fierce competition with other fighter-jet makers such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Dassault Aviation.
National news agency DPA last week quoted unnamed government sources as saying the German defence ministry would reduce its total order for Eurofighter jets from 180 to 143.
The reduction had already been decided in late 2011 by the then defence minister Thomas de Maziere, the DPA report said.
© 2014 AFP
Your company’s press release on ASDNews and to thousands of other journalists and editors? Use our ASDWire press release distribution service.
Source : AFP
Jun 24 - 25, 2015 - Prague, Czech Republic