Raytheon, L-3 Demo New Ship Protection System
- Small-ship solution will counter swarming-boat threats
Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) and L-3 Communications successfully fired Raytheon TALON laser-guided rockets from an L-3 remote weapon station using an LAU-68 launcher. The test demonstrated that the lightweight remote weapon system can provide protection for small ships by incorporating the currently fielded launcher, sensor systems and TALON missiles.
"With the increase in swarming-boat threats, navies worldwide have an urgent need to protect their smaller ships," said Rick Nelson, vice president of Raytheon's Naval and Area Mission Defense product line. "Combining our proven TALON LGR with L-3's Advanced Remote Weapon Station provides an affordable, effective and available solution. It also demonstrates our ability to reach across Raytheon's wide portfolio of products and team with companies around the globe to develop new solutions."
Global Anti-Ship Missile Defence System Market 2016-2020
Designed to carry up to seven TALONS, the self-contained remote rocket weapon system incorporates an electro-optical sensor and laser designator, all weighing approximately 500 pounds. It requires only a target queue to engage on-mount target tracking and can be integrated on ships ranging in size from riverine to major surface combatants.
"L-3 and Raytheon developed a versatile, lightweight and economical solution to provide protection against asymmetrical threats," said Dave Wessing, vice president and general manager of L-3 Integrated Optical Systems' Pittsburgh facility.
- TALON is a cooperative development program between Raytheon and the United Arab Emirates
- Digital semiactive laser technology provides precision accuracy at low cost for 2.75-inch/70mm rockets
- TALON's versatility allows for sea, air and ground launch applications
About Advanced Remote Weapon Station
- Lightweight, small footprint, low-cost mount requiring no deck penetration
- Easily configurable for medium caliber weapons or 2.75-inch rockets
- Multiple sensor options for detection, tracking and targeting
About LAU-68 launcher
- Seven round, battle-tested 2.75-inch guided and unguided rocket launcher
- Integrated and field tested with TALON missiles
- Reloadable at sea
Source : Raytheon Corporation (NYSE: RTN) - view original press release
Jan 30 - 31, 2017 - Rome, Italy