Kongsberg and Boeing Complete JSM Check on F/A-18 Super Hornet
Kongsberg Defence Systems (KONGSBERG) and Boeing recently completed a successful fit-check of the Joint Strike Missile (JSM) on an F/A-18F Super Hornet at the Boeing St. Louis facility to ensure the weapons fit on the aircraft’s external pylons. The test brings the JSM one step closer to Super Hornet compatibility.
The JSM is a 5th generation long-range stealthy precision strike missile for sea- and land targets. Boeings F- 18E/F multirole fighter is one of the most capable and successful international fighter platforms. KONGSBERG is proud to work with Boeing to offer JSM capability on F-18. The completion of the fit-check on F/A-18 F further validates the JSM compatibility with existing fleet of aircraft and provides a near term strong capability against advanced threats, says Harald Ånnestad, President Kongsberg Defence Systems.
Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) Market (by Land-Based Systems, Naval Systems and Airborne Syste...
KONGSBERG and Boeing plan to conduct wind tunnel testing for the Block II Super Hornet early next year.
About the Joint Strike Missile
JSM is designed as a long-range, low-observable stand-off weapon able to engage high threat land and naval targets.
- High probability of penetrating air defense systems through a combination of capabilities such as low radar signature, extreme sea-skim, variable speed, precise time-on-target and high-g maneuvers.
- Autonomous Target Recognition with identification of targets to ship class level. Prevents attack of white and neutral ships.
- Target library including hit-point, fuze setting and optimal end-game.
- Advanced engagement planning system which exploits the geography and threat laydown in the area of operations.
- Operates in GPS denied or jammed environments
- A two-way networking data link will provide Target Update, Re-Targeting, Mission abort and Bomb Hit Indication (BHI)
Source : Kongsberg Gruppen