Cassidian Offers New Generation Radars and Avionic Solutions
- At the 2013 Australian Airshow / Aerospace & Defence Exposition
- Presenting the Sferion Pilot assistance and situational awareness system, offering a new generation of mission systems which increase flight safety and the certainty of mission success
- Offering SPEXER(tm) 2000, the worldwide first security radar using the newest radar technology of Active Electronically Scanning Array (AESA).
- Introducing the "ASR-NG" (Airport Surveillance Radar, Next Generation), a new radar which offers completely new options for air traffic control and for safe guidance of aircraft during take-off and landing.
Cassidian will participate in the 2013 Australian International Airshow held in Avalon airport in Geelong, Victoria, between the 26th February and 3rd March 2013.
"Looking forward to expanding Cassidian's operations into a springboard for strong and sustained growth in Asia-Pacific, our presence at Avalon 2013 is a major opportunity to present our latest solutions in avionics and radar systems" declared Peter Gutsmiedl, Cassidian's Head of Operations in Asia Pacific.
Several Cassidian products will be presented including the Sferion avionic solutions and new generation radars such the MSSR 2000, the AMPS, the Spexer 2000 and the ASR-NG.
Sferion combines proven products of Cassidian in an integrated approach. It consists of four main elements which can be deployed separately or in an integrated way, each covering critical tasks of mission management :
Security and Surveillance Radar Market (Land Systems, Airborne Systems, and Naval Systems) - Global ...
- SferiAdvise comprises mission computers and digital map technologies for the display and management of spatial, tactical and environment information.
- SferiSense guarantees situational awareness by means of latest laser radar senors and provides real time obstacle and terrain avoidance functionalities.
- SferiAssist offers pilot assistance during critical phases of take-off, landing or nep of the earth flioght profils, particularly in degraded vision environment.
- SferiRec comprises devices for flight and mission data recording and data transfer which are indispensable for post-mission analysis and mission planning.
Together, these elements considerably reduce pilots' workloads by processing and displaying mission data in a refined way and by detecting and warning of obstacles in the flight path. Thus, Sferion is a reliable solution for the critical brown-out and white-out effect which blinds pilots during take-off and landing by stirring dust or snow.
In military IFF, MSSR 2000 I works according to standardized question-and-answer procedures in order to quickly recognize friendly incoming aircraft and to alleviate the commander's decision whether to engage the aircraft or not. Secondary radars are also used in civil Air Traffic Control (ATC). In a civil ATC mission, MSSR 2000 I sends out interrogation signals to all the aircraft in its sector and collects the responses. Thus, the radar provides a real-time overview of aircraft positions and additional aircraft data which results in a significant improvement in air traffic control, the efficient use of air space and the avoidance of collisions.
AMPS is an autonomous system, primarily designed for the stand alone operation on helicopters and wide-body aircraft.. It consists of a small number of components, does not need any interface to the aircraft's avionics and is controlled by a separate EW controller unit which includes also display and control function. Additional sensors detecting Laser and/ or radar threats can be easily added to the AMPS configuration. Thus, AMPS is perfectly suited for retrofit programmes. AMPS is based on the proven MILDS AN/AAR-60 missile warner which has been sold in more than 8,000 units worldwide. MILDS is an advanced, passive imaging sensor which detects and tracks the UV emissions of approaching missiles including the most prevalent threat of heat seeking shoulder launched Man Portable Air Defence Systems (MANPADS). The system provides full coverage, a low false alarm rate and maximum warning time to enable the deployment of countermeasures such as Flares.
SPEXER™ 2000 is the worldwide first security radar using the newest radar technology of Active Electronically Scanning Array (AESA). By electronic guidance of the radar beam this technology enables the sensor to fulfill several tasks at the same time while increasing the detection capability substantially. Therefore, one SPEXER™ 2000 can replace two or more conventional radars. The unique detection performance is based upon a multitude of Transmit- and Receive Modules produced by Cassidian.
Cassidian brings a new radar onto the market which offers completely new options for air traffic control and for safe guidance of aircraft during take-off and landing. This system, called “ASR-NG” (Airport Surveillance Radar, Next Generation), consists of a primary radar for wide-area surveillance of the airfields’ surroundings as well as a secondary radar for automatic identification of the individual aircraft. Its extreme sensitivity means that even very small objects such as ultra-lightweight aircraft, slow flying objects such as helicopters or even flocks of birds can be reliably detected and classified. Especially developed algorithms allow for safe guidance of aircraft even in the vicinity of wind turbines, which is hardly possible with conventional systems.
Source : Cassidian