Harris Receives $63 M Award to Supply FAA with Enterprise Messaging Services
- Utilizes existing infrastructure to provide enterprise-wide messaging services to the FAA.
- Facilitates enterprise data-sharing that is required for the Next Generation Air Transportation System.
- Continues Harris' legacy of providing advanced communications systems to the global aviation community.
Harris Corporation (NYSE:HRS), an international communications and information technology company, has received an indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity contract award to provide enterprise messaging services that will enable the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to efficiently share mission-critical information across its operations. The award, made under the scope of the existing FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) contract, is valued at $63 million over FTI's remaining five-year period of performance. The announcement was made during the 57th Annual Air Traffic Control Association Conference and Exposition being held October 1-3 at the Gaylord National Resort and Conference Center in Washington, DC.
The National Air Space (NAS) Enterprise Messaging Service (NEMS) will serve as a network-centric distribution technology for a variety of data, including flight planning, traffic flow management, surface radar, and weather information.
Global Fiber Optic Connector in Military Avionic / Harsh Environment Industry 2015 Market Research R...
The NEMS solution provides the Systems Wide Information Management (SWIM) program with a set of services that utilize the Harris-managed FTI and the Harris-designed Data Exchange (DEX) platform — leveraging the agency's investment in a network that already provides voice, data and video communications for nearly 50,000 FAA employees at 4,300 locations.
"NEMS increases common situational awareness and improves agility within the NAS," said John O'Sullivan, vice president, Mission Critical Networks, Harris Government Communications Systems. "It empowers the FAA to use the infrastructure as a service, providing the flexibility to order only those services most important to the user community."
Harris has a long history of developing and integrating system solutions for the FAA in support of the NAS. The company is the prime contractor for the FTI program, which provides the FAA with critical voice, data, and video communications. Harris also supports other mission-critical FAA programs, including:
- The Weather and Radar Processor which provides weather processing dissemination and display capabilities to air traffic controllers in the en-route air traffic control environment;
- OASIS, which provides integrated weather briefing and flight planning capabilities for preflight weather briefings and in-flight updates in a managed service model;
- The NAS Voice System, which provides a secure, IP-based voice network for critical communications between air traffic controllers, pilots and ground personnel nationwide; and
- The Alaskan Satellite Telecommunications Infrastructure program, which provides voice and data communications between the Alaskan Air Route Traffic Control Center in Anchorage and 64 regional FAA sites.
Your company’s press release on ASDNews and to thousands of other journalists and editors? Use our ASDWire press release distribution service.
Source : Harris Corporation (NYSE: HRS)
Jun 2 - 3, 2016 - Washington, United States