LM F-35 Flight Test Progress Report
Lockheed Martin’s [NYSE: LMT] F-35 program accrued the highest number of test points in a single month during June, an accomplishment indicative of the program’s ongoing maturation. Additionally, for the 18th consecutive month the F-35 test program remained ahead of plan.
As of June 30, the F-35 Lightning II 5th Generation multirole fighter had conducted 595 test flights in 2012 versus a plan of 445 and accrued 4,830 test points against a plan of 3,901.
Global Digital Glass Military Aircraft Cockpit Systems Industry 2015 Market Research Report
In June, the F-35 program accomplished several flight test and production milestones:
- During June, the F-35 test program accrued the most test points in a single month, 1,118, in program history.
- On June 5, BF-5 became the first F-35B short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) jet to fly with Block 2A software.
- On June 13, the first F-35C carrier variant (CV) night flight was completed at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md.
- On June 13, F-35A conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) weapons pit drop testing was conducted for the first time at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
- On June 14 at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., BF-2 completed the first test flight for the F-35B STOVL variant with an asymmetric weapons load.
- On June 25, AF-1, an F-35A CTOL test jet, accomplished the first F-35 weapon pit drop from an external station, a GBU-12 from station 2.
- On June 27, the program achieved the highest number of F-35 flights in a single day, 12.
Cumulative flight test activity totals for 2012 through June 30 are provided below:
- F-35A CTOL jets have flown 260 times.
- F-35B STOVL jets have completed 202 flights, 134 of which began with a short takeoff. Additionally, F-35B STOVL aircraft have conducted 55 vertical landings.
- F-35C CV jets have flown 133 times.
Cumulative flight test activity totals for the duration of the program through May 31 are provided below:
- F-35A CTOL jets have flown 907 times.
- F-35B STOVL jets have completed 791 flights, 553 of which began with a short takeoff. Additionally, F-35B STOVL aircraft have conducted 334 vertical landings.
- F-35C CV jets have flown 325 times.
Since December 2006, F-35s have flown 2,355 times and accrued more than 3,700 cumulative flight hours. This total includes 91 flights from the original test aircraft, AA-1; 2,023 SDD test flights; and 241 production-model flights. For video highlights of the F-35 program, click here.
The F-35 Lightning II is a 5th Generation fighter, combining advanced stealth with fighter speed and agility, fully fused sensor information, network-enabled operations and advanced sustainment. Lockheed Martin is developing the F-35 with its principal industrial partners, Northrop Grumman and BAE Systems.
Your company’s press release on ASDNews and to thousands of other journalists and editors? Use our ASDWire press release distribution service.
Source : Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT)
Sep 28 - 29, 2016 - Rome, Italy